Call to Schedule Your Consultation 972-954-6455

Prosper Family Law Attorney for Parents of Special Needs Children

Lawyer for Child Custody and Child Support of Disabled Children in Collin County

For divorced and unmarried parents, it is always important to keep a child's best interests in mind when deciding on child custody arrangements, and this is especially true when your child has special needs. Children with special needs often find it very difficult to cope with the changes of a divorce or an inconsistent routine, and they may need support from both parents well into their adult lives. With these challenges in mind, it is important to work with an attorney who can help you pursue a custody arrangement that provides for your child's needs.

At Pfister Family Law, we recognize the challenges of parenting a child with special developmental, physical, or mental health needs, and we understand the importance of providing the best possible life for your child. We have multiple decades of legal experience, and we can advise and represent you in matters including child custody, child support, and guardianship for an adult child. You can rest assured that we will serve you and your family with the attention and compassion that you deserve.

Custody Considerations for Minor Children With Special Needs

As with any child custody matter, the most important consideration when determining custody of a child with special needs is the child's best interests. In most cases, a child with special needs will benefit from the involvement and support of both parents, even when their parents are not married. However, when deciding how best to share custody with your child's other parent, you should think carefully about the arrangements that will best meet your child's unique care needs.

For example, with regard to possession or visitation, it is important to consider which parent is best equipped to provide for the child's care on a regular basis. If one parent's home has special accommodations for the child, or it is in a convenient location for any regular appointments or treatment, these may also be important considerations. It may be best for your child to live with one parent full-time, with a regular visitation schedule for the other parent. You will also need to decide how to share important decision-making responsibilities regarding your child's special healthcare and educational needs. Seeking advice from child health and development specialists who have worked with your child can help you make well-informed decisions.

Guardianship for Disabled Adult Children

Often, a child with special needs will continue to require a parent's support after reaching the age of 18. In Texas, child custody or conservatorship arrangements typically end when a child reaches adulthood, but you may be able to ensure that you continue to be responsible for your child's care by petitioning the court for guardianship. A court will grant guardianship for an adult with disabilities in cases when the adult is unable to manage their own personal care or finances. An attorney can help you file your petition and demonstrate to the court that it is in your child's best interest for you to be appointed as their guardian.

Child Support for Special Needs Children

Financial support is also a crucial consideration for children with special needs. Texas uses standardized guidelines to calculate child support to provide for a child's basic needs, but for children with special needs, it is often possible to ask the court to deviate from these guidelines to account for extraordinary medical, educational, and care expenses. The court may order child support beyond the child's 18th birthday. In some cases, support may be paid indefinitely, such as in situations where the child will continue to rely on a parent for care and financial support because a disability prevents them from becoming self-sufficient.

Contact a Prosper, TX Special Needs Child Attorney

Whether you are responsible for the care of your minor or adult child, we can help you navigate the legal processes that will help you protect their interests and provide for their support. Contact us today at 972-954-6455 to schedule a complimentary consultation and learn more about our services. We help parents of children with special needs throughout North Texas, including Prosper, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, Prosper, Little Elm, The Colony, Dallas, Denton, Collin County, Dallas County, Denton County, Tarrant County, Hunt County, Sherman County, Rockwall County, and the surrounding areas.

badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top